Spousal/Common Law Partner Open Work Permit (SOWP)

If your common-law partner or spouse is currently studying or working in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit. This Spousal work permit gives you the ability to come, stay and work for any employer in Canada.
An open work permit makes it much easier to find jobs in Canada as the employer now doesn’t need to provide you with an LMIA. The Spousal Open Work Permit is also a great pathway to Canadian Permanent Residency. It allows you to acquire valid work experience, which can then be used to gain extra points for the Permanent Residency Immigration Programs. 

Steps to Apply for Spousal Open Work Permit

These are the steps to apply for an open work Permit for spouse of international student in Canada.

1. Start an Online Application for a Work Permit

The student can visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and start an application for a work permit. They can then download the application package and fill out the IMM 5710 form included in it.

2. Gather the Required Documents

Next, international students must gather documents specified in the Document Checklist from the application package. These documents include:

  • Digital photos of their spouse
  • Copies of their spouse’s passport
  • A copy of their study permit
  • A copy of their marriage license or certificate

3. Pay the Application Fee and Submit the Application

The applicant must then pay their $255 CAD application fee online. They must then print a receipt for this payment and include it with their application before submitting it.

IRCC may contact the applicant if they require any additional information or documents from their spouse. If the application is approved, the applicant’s spouse will receive their open work permit document in the mail.

Request a Free Call