Super Visa – Parents and Grandparents

The Canada Super Visa is a type of multiple-entry visa valid for up to ten years. This Super Visa Canada is issued only to parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. It differs from ordinary multiple-entry visas due to its extended stay time.

People with ordinary multiple-entry visas can stay in Canada for up to six months. The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa Canada allow visitors to stay in the country for up to 7 years.
This makes the Super Visa Canada visa an excellent choice for parents and grandparents who want to stay with their children or grandchildren in Canada for a long time.

Super Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a super visa, you must

  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes
    • a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
    • the list and number of people in the household of this person
    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company
    • This medical insurance needs to
      • be paid in full, or in instalments with a deposit (quotes aren’t accepted)
      • be valid for at least 1 year from the date you’ll enter Canada
      • cover your health care, hospitalization and repatriation
      • provide for at least $100,000 emergency coverage

Note: Private health insurance must be valid for each entry to Canada. Be prepared to show your proof of paid insurance to a border services officer if they ask to see it when you enter Canada.

You must also:

  • apply for a super visa from outside Canada
  • have your visa printed outside Canada (wait for visa office instructions)
  • be allowed to enter Canada
  • take an immigration medical exam
  • meet certain other conditions

You can’t include dependants in this application.

Financial support (proof of funds)

The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance Benefit statements
  • employment letter including salary, job title, job description, and date of hiring
  • pay stubs
  • bank statements

Other conditions we consider

We consider several things before we decide if you can come to Canada. You must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit.

We’ll look at these things when you apply:

  • your ties to your home country
  • the purpose of your visit
  • your family and finances
  • the overall economic and political stability of your home country

Request a Free Call