Study Permit

Most international students require a study permit issued by the IRCC to study in Canada. This permit, along with a student visa, allows them to enter and then stay in Canada for study. 
A study permit is required in almost all study cases except if you are appearing for preschool, attending a complete distance learning program, taking non-academic/non-professional courses, or taking a course which is six months or less in duration. 

Steps to Apply for a Canadian Student Visa

Prospective students can apply for a Canadian Student Visa by following the steps below:

1. Select a Study Program and Apply to a University or College

Students must first determine the type of study program they wish to pursue. They can then research the various colleges and universities in Canada. Consider applying to various programs and/or designated learning institutions to improve your chances of receiving admission.

2. Receive Your Letter of Acceptance

If you receive admission into one of these designated learning institutions, you will receive a letter of acceptance. This letter is vital for the student visa application process.

After receiving your acceptance letter, you must gather additional documents and submit a student visa application.

3. Gather the Required Documents and Complete the Application Process

After receiving your acceptance letter, you must gather additional documents and submit a student visa application. On approval, you can fly to Canada and start your studies.

Document Checklist for a Canadian Study Permit Outside Canada

Here is a list of primary documents required for a Canadian study permit outside Canada.

1. Proof of Acceptance

Also known as Letter of Acceptance, is a mandatory document that you’ll get from an institution (DLI). To obtain a Letter of Acceptance you have to submit an application to your desired DLI.

2. Proof of Identity

  • A valid passport
  • Two passport sized photos (name and D.O.B of the person written on the back of each photo)

3. A Letter of Explanation (LOE) / SOP / Cover Letter

A simple letter helps the visa officer understand your study goals in Canada and your responsibilities as an international student.

4. Proof of Financial Support

  • Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
  • Proof of an education/ student loan from a bank
  • Recent bank statements (last 4 months)
  • Bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • Proof of tuition and housing fees
  • Letter from the person or school giving you money, or
  • proof of money paid from within Canada (if you have a scholarship/ are in a Canadian-funded educational program)

5. A Custodian Declaration (For Minors)

A two-page document to be signed by both parents and the custodian (a responsible adult who will take care of the minor child in Canada).

6. A Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for Quebec)

A mandatory document for the applicants studying in Quebec, Canada. It is required if you want to study for more than 6 months in Quebec.

Request a Free Call